Spring Semester 1
|Week||Theme||Homework due to the day
Felix will adjust timing for homework (due to…) depending on how fast/slow we progress during the semester. Please be aware that timings might change.
|Week 1||TUE, 01-28-20||Design Fundamentals |
General introduction, Time and Project Management
|Get the course books from the book store.|
|THU, 01-30-20||The Vision of Design |
|1. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (chapter 1 (p. 9–19), p. 176–177)),
2. Develop a Gantt-Chart that reflects the design stages of your project for this semester,
3. Bring 5 digital photographs of traditional/typical/important architecture from your hometown.
|Week 2||TUE, 02-04-20||Rapid Prototyping (Laser Cutting Workshop)||1. Pass Esteban's laser cutter training
2. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (p. 94–119),
3. Reading: Design: History, Theory and Practice of Product Design (Design and Technology: p. 239–261)
|THU, 02-06-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 1, No. 2), class discussion
|1. Watch 'Rams'
2. Go through this compilation of presentation rules
|Week 3||TUE, 02-11-20||Mood-board presentation||1. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (p. 78),
2. Think about three cardboard architecure projects you would like to work on,
3. Create a mood-board for each idea.
4. Email a PDF with the 3 moodboards to Felix
|THU, 02-13-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 3, No. 4), class discussion
|Week 4||TUE, 02-18-20||Ideation (Brainstorming, Mind-Maps)||1. Watch 'Urbanized',
2. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (p. 56-57, 66-67),
3. Create a mind-map on your selected idea.
4. Create a word-cloud about your selected cardboard architecture.
5. Email mind-map and word-cloud to Felix
|THU, 02-20-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 5, No. 6), class discussion
|Week 5||TUE, 02-25-20||Drawing Workshop||-|
|THU, 02-27-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 7, No. 8), class discussion
|Week 6||TUE, 03-03-20||Cardboard Workshop with Tobias Horrock||Please reserve the afternoons and evenings on Tue 3 and Wed 4 for this workshop (each day 6–9pm)|
|THU, 03-05-20||Presentation of Cardboard Workshop results||-|
|Week 7||TUE, 03-10-20||Project Colloquium||1. Create three handdrawings that visualise your idea.
2. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (p. 21–45)
3. Reading: Design: History, Theory and Practice of Product Design (Utopias, Visions, Concepts, and Trends: p. 216–225)
4. Email scans of your drawings to Felix
|THU, 03-12-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 9, No. 10), class discussion
Spring Semester 2
|Week 8||TUE, 03-31-20||The Function of Design |
|1. Build a small scale model of your cardboard architecture
2. Reading: Design: History, Theory and Practice of Product Design, Architecture and Design (p. 202–215)
|THU, 04-02-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 11, No. 12), class discussion
|Week 9||TUE, 04-07-20||Project Colloquium||1. Project Report 1/5
2. Improve/change your small scale model based on the feedback you received
|THU, 04-09-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 13, No. 14), class discussion
|1. Watch 'Bauhaus, The Face of the Twentieth Century' (source 1, 2)|
|Week 10||TUE, 04-14-20||Project Colloquium||1. Project Report 2/5
2. Watch 'Objectified'
2. Develop a perfectly made cardboard model that features a detail from your architecture.
|THU, 04-16-20||Case-study presentations |
(No. 15), class discussion
|Week 11||TUE, 04-21-20||Graphic Design & Typography||1. Project Report 3/5
2. 'Watch Helvetica'
3. Name for your cardboard architecture
4. Logo for your cardboard architecture,
5. Reading: Design: History, Theory and Practice of Product Design, On the Communicative Function of Design (p. 148–186), Design and its Context (p. 189–201)
|Week 12||TUE, 04-28-20||Project Colloquium||1. Project Report 4/5
2. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (chapter 6 (Testing), p. 121–137, chapter 7 (Evaluation & Selection), p. 139-155
|Week 13||TUE, 05-05-20||Project Colloquium||1. Project Report 5/5,
2. 1. Write your Artistic Statement,
2. Reading: Research Methods for Product Design (chapter 8 (Communicating), p. 156-173)
|THU, 05-07-20||Prototyping & realisation||-|
|Week 14||TUE, 05-12-20||Prototyping & realisation||1. Finish your cardboard architecture prototype.|
|THU, 05-14-20||Presentation of project||Have all documents (drawings, photographs of models, etc.) uploaded to the online exhibition!|